Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sometimes, Laziness Pays Off

Last year, I bought two unidentified Phalaenopsis orchids on clearance. One had yellow flowers, the other had flowers in a multicolored pink/peach pattern. The flowers lasted for months, and after the show was over, I left the flower stalks on the plant. This wasn't because I was hoping that they'd bloom again on those stalks, as I've never had that happen with any of the Phals I've owned previously. I just didn't get around to it. I figured I'd cut them off once they started to turn brown. But that never happened; they stayed firm and green, and did nothing, until recently, when one did this:


NoId Phalaenopsis blooming on old flower stalk. I never even removed the old stake.


Flower and bud up close

And the other one did this:

New branch on old flower stalk

Closer view of the new branch, with what I hope are new flower buds. Again, I had never bothered to remove the old support.

Orchids are still a bit of a mystery to me. I pamper them, and they die. I ignore them, and they surprise me with flowers and growth.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

What a nice surprise! You've encouraged me to try an orchid...when I find one cheap enough! Looking forward to seeing the other blooms when they make their debut!

Julie said...

They put me in mind of succulents...less is more, in the way of care!!! LOL. :)

Very exciting to find this new growth!!!

Sidenote:
My Mom has terrible luck with orchids, so she gives them to my SIL who nurtures them all year, and then she gives them back to Mom to enjoy while blooming! It is the perfect working relationship! LOLOL.

CatsandCatts said...

Nice job! I think most people kill Phals by over-watering.